Do not be deterred by all the construction happening in our neck of the woods! The city is repaving Lafayette Street, which is incredibly potholed. So ultimately it will be a good thing. But for now it is a pain!
You must approach heading east on Powell, and make a right on SE 20th, before the light at 21st. Then make the next right which is Pershing, and go down one block and Voila! Stone Barn.
The construction should be done (they say) by this Friday, August 28th.
|Comice ripening at EZ Orchards|
|Wedding band on break|
|chain harrow behind the shed|
Back in Portland, Erika is at a farmers market and I must develop a cocktail for the tasting room. Last week we served an Apricot-Plum Smash. Today a coffee drink (TBD) to keep the heart racing.
Apricot Plum Smash
- 2 ripe plums, cut up (they don't need to be from our tree)
- 1 1/2 oz apricot Liqueur
- 1 oz unoaked rye whiskey
- one good shake Angostura Bitters
- Ginger beer to top the glass
And how you do it:
- Mash the plums at the bottom of a cocktail shaker with a muddler
- Add spirits, bitters, and ice
- Shake hard
- Strain into a glass with ice because it's pretty pulpy, but the ice is welcome on a hot day
- Top with ginger beer and a lemon twist
A fun project- we picked up a barrel of fig beer from Cascade Brewing. It made a wonderful distillate- deeply figgy with a bit of spice. Not sure what we'll do with the spirit but know we will put it to good use.